Wednesday, February 2, 2011

September 11-15 Hong Kong

After breakfast, we went to the shipping agent’s office in Kowloon to
check in with them and to give them our whereabouts. We then took a cab
to the Ramada Inn Hong Kong, located in the Sheung Wan district of Hong
Kong Island. They gave us a suite upgrade, and so we have a sitting room as
well as a bedroom! Since we will be here for a long time, this is a welcome
surprise. The shipping agent called back and said that we may be leaving a
day early, because MV Hugo is ahead of schedule. We set 1400 on 15
September as the time certain to arrange the transfer by telephone.

September 12
A slow day indeed. We are both a bit tired after such a long trip. This
is Penny’s third visit to Hong Kong, and it is my seventh one. So we ate
breakfast downstairs. I went out to find some Listerine and some floss picks.
I found the former but not the latter, and gave up after walking all the way to
Central. I rode back on the double-decker tram that runs along Des Veoux
Road Central and West. We ordered room service for dinner and watched
movies on television.
Our suite in the Ramada.

September 13-15
These were more slow days, and for all intents and purposes, we are
only waiting for the Hugo to arrive. I went to the Sunday morning Eucharist
service at St. John’s Cathedral, which is the cathedral of the Anglican
province of Hong Kong. We went by bus to Victoria Peak, and then took
the tram back down. Another time, we took a bus to Stanley Market, bought
a few souvenirs and some presents for Annie and Charlie Schwartz. Dinner
at the Indian restaurant at Stanley waterfront was really good. We noticed
that there seem to be a large number of Filipina women living homeless in
the streets. The gather in large groups in public places that afford some
shelter such as parks and the covered walkways around the Central district.
Perhaps they have been unable to find work?
If you say "Hong Kong" to me, the Star Ferry comes immediately to mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment